Struggling to find a place to buy in South Creuse?
by LeHobbit Sun 19 Mar 2017 11:53

We are looking to move to the south Creuse and more specifically within the Parc Natural De Millevaches. We have been coming over to Creuse since late last spring and have viewed around 25 houses across the department. Admittedly not all of these have been in the south, but we have now decided this is where we would like to find a permanent home. We have a decent budget for buying a place needing updating or some renovation.

However the real sticking point seems to be land. We want at least 1.5 hectares of nice adjoining land and preferably with a well or source/stream. In an area with so much land and water, you wouldn't think this would be a problem!!

Also we would prefer an isolated house outside of a hamlet, so without close neighbours. Again this rules out many houses as most seem to be huddled in small hamlets. We are very proactive and have been contacting mayors, notaires and numerous estate agencies. We have also been checking Leboincoin every day and other internet sources. Basically our every waking hour is spent searching for houses!! However it feels like we are never going to find a place!!

We have some friends who live in Creuse and they have suggested we search north Correze and Puy de Dome, which we have done to some extent; The sticking point for us is that we really love the south of Creuse and much prefer it to both those other areas. I can see their point of view as we don't really have the luxury of waiting for years or even months and months to find our next place. Currently we are living in temporary accomodation in Charente (where we sold our last house). It's extremely frustrating, as we just want to find our next house and get on with our project!!

I just wondered if anyone living in south Creuse can give us any advice? Other ways of finding properties? It seems to us there are not many houses available and a great many more empty abandoned places which are just not on the market? Dealing with French agencies and notaires can be painful as a.) Replying to email seems to be an optional activity for most of them! b.) there is the language barrier (other half speaks decent(ish) French!!)

If you know of any places in your local area then any heads up would be greatly appreciated. Ideally we would like to find somewhere close to Lac Vaud Gelade or in the surrounding countryside. Also the area east/north of Vassiviere. Also the area south west of Aubusson. We have also looked at several places in eastern Haute Vienne (shock horror) but again would prefer to be in Creuse!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards LeHobbit.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
Re: Struggling to find a place to buy in South Creuse?
by rictel Sun 19 Mar 2017 15:37

Sorry we cant help, we're in North Creuse.

rictel
Dec 2007
by rosemarie Mon 20 Mar 2017 12:06

Have you looked on this site? Put in the post code of the area you are interested in to narrow down the search.

rosemarie
Jan 2015
by LeHobbit Mon 20 Mar 2017 13:30

Have you looked on this site? Put in the post code of the area you are interested in to narrow down the search.
Said rosemarie
Hi Rosemarie. Thank you for the link.

I have however checked Leboincoin several times a day, everyday, for the last 7 months!! Loads of houses yes, but hardly any with land of more than a hectare attached. If we wanted to live in North Creuse we would have found a house by now with land I am sure! However it is the wild and hilly Millevaches we want to be in!!

So frustrating!

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by chrisell66 Mon 20 Mar 2017 19:47

Are you sure what you want exists - or is budget the limiting factor?

There are definitely houses with more than an hectare - or there were a year ago - but they will almost all be within a hamlet.

Round here I would say the internet is only a starting point - I used Rightmove and a couple of French versions - used them to find agents and then spoke with the agents - or went through their listings in the office.

Try Marcon in Aubusson or Auclair Champeau (Eymoutiers - but they have a small office 15km down the road that covers a lot of South Creuse) and certainly cover the Millevache. There's a good agent in Bourganeuf as well

I wouldn't get to hung up on South Creuse - the landscape doesn't change much as you head West/East or South within reason - the Western edge of 87 is the other side of the Millevache and the Corrreze border is probably 15 minutes away, Certainly I'd include Eymoutiers - Bourganeuf in 87 - terrain wise there's no huge differance - still rains - still hilly with woods everywhere

chrisell66
Jul 2016
by LeHobbit Tue 21 Mar 2017 09:16

Are you sure what you want exists - or is budget the limiting factor?

There are definitely houses with more than an hectare - or there were a year ago - but they will almost all be within a hamlet.

Round here I would say the internet is only a starting point - I used Rightmove and a couple of French versions - used them to find agents and then spoke with the agents - or went through their listings in the office.

Try Marcon in Aubusson or Auclair Champeau (Eymoutiers - but they have a small office 15km down the road that covers a lot of South Creuse) and certainly cover the Millevache. There's a good agent in Bourganeuf as well

I wouldn't get to hung up on South Creuse - the landscape doesn't change much as you head West/East or South within reason - the Western edge of 87 is the other side of the Millevache and the Corrreze border is probably 15 minutes away, Certainly I'd include Eymoutiers - Bourganeuf in 87 - terrain wise there's no huge differance - still rains - still hilly with woods everywhere
Said chrisell66

Hi there. I don't think our budget is too small. We have been looking at everything from €50,000 wrecks up to around €150,000 for habitable/renovated places. Creuse is one of the cheapest departments statistically. We sold our fully eco renovated longere in Charente with an adjoining 1.7 hectares for €180,000, so I am sure we should be able to find what we are looking for in Creuse for a lesser price than that? We have checked out the northern Correze part of Millevaches on a couple of occassions, but for us much of it is too high (900 metres plus) and far fewer trees. Some of it was a bit bleak and that was on a sunny day!

Also we would quite like to be not too far away from Felletin and Aubusson. We do like the far eastern part of Haute Vienne too (around Eymoutiers) and it is very pretty.
Would still like to find a non hamlet house, but we understand this is difficult.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by chrisell66 Tue 21 Mar 2017 17:32

The agents I mentioned are certainly worth talking to - if you haven't already. I assume you know http://www.explorimmo.com or http://www.pap.fr - certainly useful to find agents and get an idea of prices in a region.
I suspect at 150k you're pushing it - given the fairly specific nature of your search. The problem with statistics is they're a bit broad - if you want a house in one of the towns/villages then its very cheap (no jobs, 90 minutes from Limoges) and hence statistically this part of the Creuse is cheap - but there's still demand for small holdings/houses with land- so not so cheap (at least compared with a town house).
We're in the area you want and with something similar to your criteria and we paid 170'ish all in.

chrisell66
Jul 2016
by LeHobbit Fri 24 Mar 2017 10:32

The agents I mentioned are certainly worth talking to - if you haven't already. I assume you know http://www.explorimmo.com or http://www.pap.fr - certainly useful to find agents and get an idea of prices in a region.
I suspect at 150k you're pushing it - given the fairly specific nature of your search. The problem with statistics is they're a bit broad - if you want a house in one of the towns/villages then its very cheap (no jobs, 90 minutes from Limoges) and hence statistically this part of the Creuse is cheap - but there's still demand for small holdings/houses with land- so not so cheap (at least compared with a town house).
We're in the area you want and with something similar to your criteria and we paid 170'ish all in.
Said chrisell66
Thank you for the advice. I have used pap.fr and explorimmo. I guess we were just expecting prices to be on a par or less than Charente. Demand for properties is high here with so many British moving into the Department (nearly 7000 at present). However there seems to be a steady supply of old longeres with land to renovate around the €70-100,000 mark.

Maybe because the countryside is so much prettier and interesting in south Creuse, we are competing against a lot of second home French buyers and this is pushing the prices up?

My biggest bugbear with a lot of these old houses is that they are not energy efficient in any way (most have uninsulated roofs) and have oil heating!! It is major money to sort them out and bring up to modern living standards. By the time you have spent all the money the property is not worth what you have paid out!

Did you pay €170,000 for a fully habitable house that was renovated? We are looking for a renovation project or something in between (basically habitable).

Anyway, thank you again for the advice and we will keep hunting.

Regards Paul

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by fishsw Fri 24 Mar 2017 10:55

Have you looked at the Combrailles region of the Puy de Dome just across the border from the Creuse? I can recommend the agency Auvergne-Immo based in Pionsat (http://www.auvergne-immo.com). It is run by a Dutch lady who speaks English. There are definitely properties with the amount of land you are looking for although of course you have not indicated a budget. Good luck.

fishsw
Apr 2010
by chrisell66 Fri 24 Mar 2017 15:26

Ours was on the books at 200k - offered and haggled - the 170k included all the fees/taxes.

Ours is from memory about 170 sq metres indoors with 1.6 hectares "Victorian" house- plus there's a large barn/farmhouse (longere'ish) and a bread oven. The main house is habitable - its twenty years out of date but clean and more than livable. New kitchen (planned by an idiot but new) but bathroom from the time taste forgot. In a nutshell - new bathroom - replaster (but thats more my taste than need) and update the electrics - but the windows have been done. Equally no ones destroyed the period features. Insulation needs doing and yes its an oil burner for the water/central heating. The farmhouse/barn I'm not even thinking about - but they're a shell and need total renovation - or not more likely. But our hamlet is fully populated - one Dutch holiday home - us and then everyone else is local - no empty houses which makes the place slightly more welcoming and probably pushes price up - and its a fairly young population for rural Creuse. Equally I don't have a house in sight - the hamlets hidden behind the barn - its as quiet as can be - until we all start up the wood saws, chainsaws, mowers and strimmers.

The problem is its really hard to put a price on things - in the UK you know what the house a few doors down sold for - and that gives you a guide. Here - its more gut feeling. However https://www.netvendeur.com/prix-immobilier gives you some broad indicators - if you zoom out it shows broad prices per metre by commune - same problems as noted previously but helps understand the random pricing to a degree.

Its probably worth at least looking beyond the range you want - once you've driven down may as well fill the day anyway - but just because its advertised at 225 doesn't mean it'll sell for that - and equally I looked a broad range and worked out what worked best overall.

chrisell66
Jul 2016
by Les rats bleus Sat 25 Mar 2017 12:08

I do apologise, we appear to have bought the exact house you are looking for. Fortunately for us, we bought ours two years ago (and at a time when the pound was worth more than five bob and a pile of comics). It was on the market for €163,500 but our offer of €150,000 was accepted. We too had thought of renovating but at the last minute, we got it fully furnished (long story) so we now live happily in a kind of antique luxury. Okay, it's a little shabby and the last time it had some serious money spent on it was in the 1930s/50s and the rest is 19th century but we love it for all that. Yes, it has an old oil fired boiler for the central heating and hot water but what the hey - it may even see us out! Besides, we are way too busy trying to make a garden/parkland out of the 6.4 hectares of wildlife habitat that came with it. And yes, the estate agent was Marcon in Aubusson.

It's a fine line between being proud and appearing boastful so I'll leave it at that lest you find us and kill us :lol: I just wanted to say it is possible to get lucky but it took us almost three years of searching. I sat down daily to sift through email alerts from Green Acres (who always seemed to us to have the kind of search filters that returned what we were looking for), French-property.com, Francepropertyshop.com, Leggett (frenchestateagents.com) and pretty much any other immobilier who would send us an alert. Those who didn't we checked their websites daily.

I hope you get as lucky as we did and that you too find what you're looking for. :)

Les rats bleus
Jan 2016
by LeHobbit Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:16

Have you looked at the Combrailles region of the Puy de Dome just across the border from the Creuse? I can recommend the agency Auvergne-Immo based in Pionsat (http://www.auvergne-immo.com). It is run by a Dutch lady who speaks English. There are definitely properties with the amount of land you are looking for although of course you have not indicated a budget. Good luck.
Said fishsw
Hi there

We did have a look around this area and liked the area around Biollet where the Buddhist temple is and there are great views of the mountains. We weren't so taken with some of the hamlets and villages and places like Les Anzies were a bit weird with lots of strange architecture? I don't think the prices were as reasonable as Creuse. Also this area is a long, long way from Limoges. I know there is an airport at Clermont (which we have also checked out), but there's not as many flights to the UK. We need to consider family and visitors being able to get to us easily.

We really would prefer to be in central south Creuse.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by LeHobbit Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:18

Said fishsw
Hi there

We did have a look around this area and liked the area around Biollet where the Buddhist temple is and there are great views of the mountains. We weren't so taken with some of the hamlets and villages and places like Les Anzies were a bit weird with lots of strange architecture? I don't think the prices were as reasonable as Creuse. Also this area is a long, long way from Limoges. I know there is an airport at Clermont (which we have also checked out), but there's not as many flights to the UK. We need to consider family and visitors being able to get to us easily.

We really would prefer to be in Creuse.

Cheers Lehobbit

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by LeHobbit Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:28

I do apologise, we appear to have bought the exact house you are looking for. Fortunately for us, we bought ours two years ago (and at a time when the pound was worth more than five bob and a pile of comics). It was on the market for €163,500 but our offer of €150,000 was accepted. We too had thought of renovating but at the last minute, we got it fully furnished (long story) so we now live happily in a kind of antique luxury. Okay, it's a little shabby and the last time it had some serious money spent on it was in the 1930s/50s and the rest is 19th century but we love it for all that. Yes, it has an old oil fired boiler for the central heating and hot water but what the hey - it may even see us out! Besides, we are way too busy trying to make a garden/parkland out of the 6.4 hectares of wildlife habitat that came with it. And yes, the estate agent was Marcon in Aubusson.

It's a fine line between being proud and appearing boastful so I'll leave it at that lest you find us and kill us :lol: I just wanted to say it is possible to get lucky but it took us almost three years of searching. I sat down daily to sift through email alerts from Green Acres (who always seemed to us to have the kind of search filters that returned what we were looking for), French-property.com, Francepropertyshop.com, Leggett (frenchestateagents.com) and pretty much any other immobilier who would send us an alert. Those who didn't we checked their websites daily.

I hope you get as lucky as we did and that you too find what you're looking for. :)
Said Les rats bleus
Sounds like you had a lucky find there! I just cannot believe how vibrant the market is and every man and his dog seem to be looking to buy a house with land in the Creuse!!! We made the huge mistake of buying in the wrong part of France (for us) and have spent 2.5 years renovating, and then selling our longere in Charente. We made a decent profit and sold it in two weeks (last September), so not all bad. But this search is so, so frustrating.

Every day I check online and my email updates Leboncoin etc and one possibly suitable house will come every couple of months! I think the only places still on the market are the rubbish ones that have been for sale for years!

Oh well we will keep hunting!!

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by LeHobbit Sat 01 Apr 2017 08:53

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobil ... tm?ca=14_s

Looks nice

Joel
Said merkit the grof

Hi Joel.

This place is above our budget unfortunately, although it does look quite nice. We would prefer to find a much cheaper place we can modernise/renovate to our own taste and style. Something around the €120,000 mark would suit us or less for a full renovation.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by LeHobbit Tue 04 Apr 2017 19:32

Have you seen this?

http://www.transaxia-bourganeuf.fr/3436 ... sante.html

Very quiet, couple of acres, €82,500, scope to increase size of property.
Said sally watkins
Hi Sally. Funnily enough we have been to see this place and it is in a lovely peaceful location. It is also a good price (although we haven't see the inside!!).

Unfortunately the land is too small and the plot is split by the road. The house and majority of the land is located on the inside of a horseshoe bend in the road, with some land the other side. This means the road wraps around the house and land on three sides. For our project it just would not work for us. However it is very quiet and no neighbours with in a kilometre! Someone will get a decent house for a good price there in a lovely location.

Regards LeHobbit

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions