What can you tell me about La Naute, near Champagnat?

by LeHobbit » Mon 08 May 2017 17:55

We have been property hunting in Creuse for many months now and are planning to move over from Charente and rent until we find our next project. I did another post about our frustrating search a few months ago and yes, our search is still frustrating!!

We have been focussing on the Millevaches area in south Creuse, but have now widened the search to other areas. We recently viewed a renovation project with 1.1 hectares near Champagnat north of Aubusson. The house is tucked away down a chemin with no close neighbours (150 metres nearest). It has loads of potential and a few issues as well. There are two very ugly agricultural buildings on the land which need removing/converting/dealing with, so that is a major negative for us. However the house and land have a lot to offer!

Anyway, the reason for this post is that I would like to know more about La Naute campsite/venue. It is only about 2.5 kilometres from the house and I have seen on their website that they hold many music concerts during spring and summer as well as other events with one attracting over 2000 visitors. In the other direction from the house there is another leisure lake about 1 kilometre away and they also have occasional music and other events.

We are hoping to buy a property in a very quiet and tranquil area, however I am concerned about the proximity of these places. Are the concerts outdoor? I can imagine that the sound can travel quite a distance. Also what is the traffic impact on the local area? We are looking to be in as quiet and tranquil part of Creuse as possible, as we are looking for rural seclusion. We plan to have two-three yurts for visitors on the land so we want it to be quiet in the main summer season.

I may be worrying unduly, but in my experience of rural France (Charente) so far, peace and quiet is not always guaranteed or indeed the norm!! I say this from the point of view of having lived in extremely remote and quiet places in Wales and Scotland!!

Any thoughts people?

Le Hobbit
LeHobbit
LeHobbit
New Poster

Re: What can you tell me about La Naute, near Champagnat?

by David_J » Tue 09 May 2017 08:54

Hi. We live a few km away from Champagnat and have been to La Naute many times as well as other camp site/lakes such as L'etang de Chaux which is also close. These are not Martha's Farm or Glastonbury so forget hoards of travellers and riotous revels etc. La Naute has primarily foreign artists of (some) interest but the audience is mainly comprised of the campers on site and a (very few) locals. L'Etang de Chaux is even quieter. Neither has massive PA systems - or indeed house PAs at all.
There are many gites in the area. Why not take one close when an 'event' is on and judge for yourselves?
David_J
Regular Poster

by LeHobbit » Wed 10 May 2017 15:26

David_J wrote:Hi. We live a few km away from Champagnat and have been to La Naute many times as well as other camp site/lakes such as L'etang de Chaux which is also close. These are not Martha's Farm or Glastonbury so forget hoards of travellers and riotous revels etc. La Naute has primarily foreign artists of (some) interest but the audience is mainly comprised of the campers on site and a (very few) locals. L'Etang de Chaux is even quieter. Neither has massive PA systems - or indeed house PAs at all.
There are many gites in the area. Why not take one close when an 'event' is on and judge for yourselves?

Hello David

Thank you for your helpful reply. Do you know if the concerts are outdoor at La Naute or if they use the large building that is there? We have been to La Naute to have a look around a few weeks ago, but it was obviously deserted out of season. When you say a few km away from Champagnat, how close would you say you are to La Naute? Do you ever hear the music?

We are looking to buy a property just outside Montelladonne. The house is very tucked away about 100 metres from a small hamlet and not near any roads. It offers a lot of potential and nice land of over a hectare. We have a plan to put a couple of seasonal yurts on the land for visitors and have a low impact back to nature eco campsite. What would concern us, is guests (and us) being able to hear music and other events from La Naute/Etang de Chaux. I have checked La Naute's website and they look very busy through the spring and summer. Using Google Earth I can see that La Naute is 2.4 km away from the house and 1 kilometre from Etang de Chaux. Not sure how far the sound would travel on a quiet evening?

Don't get me wrong, we are not opposed to social events and being social ourselves, but we want to ensure our yurt camp is in the quietest location. Your suggestion to stay local whilst an event is on is a good one.

Regards Le Hobbit
LeHobbit
LeHobbit
New Poster

by David_J » Fri 12 May 2017 08:57

Hi again,

We live closer to Chaux than La Naute but Chaux is pretty much in a dip (as are most lakes?) so I expect any sound is localised. We have not heard any noise we can attribute to coming from there but we are well over your 1km away. Frankly this is a very quiet part of the world. I have not been to an event at La Naute but once saw equipment being set up on the outdoor stage by the restaurant area, I believe the indoor hall is for sporting activity. I do question whether Naute ever had audiences of 2000 - at 4 people to a vehicle that is 500 cars and where would they all park? Good luck.
David_J
Regular Poster