How often do you visit your home?

by cmchsmjm » Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:25

As the title suggests I am curious to know how often people visit there holiday homes.

Outside of Christmas and the Summer hols, we are trying not to leave the place empty for more than 3 months at a time.

The longest our house has been empty is 8 months and it definitely felt damp and musty as a result.
cmchsmjm
Poster

Re: How often do you visit your home?

by virtdave » Tue 21 Feb 2017 17:20

We're generally gone during the winter, and have used several different methods to reduce dankness in our house. The simplest is probably something like this, which you can get at any bricolage store. Of course, the amount of water which can be removed from your house is limited by the size of the bac. We also use a small heater set to go on when the inside temperature falls below zero, since the dampness is more a concern when the ambient temperature is below freezing--of course, such a unit requires that the electricity be on.
Finally, a couple of years ago, we installed one of these.. It generates the small amount of electricity needed for its fan, so does not need a connection to the mains, and works very well. We've much less peeling wallpaper due to winter humidity now.
virtdave
Master Poster

by cmchsmjm » Wed 22 Feb 2017 08:51

Thanks virtdave, very interesting.
I will pick up a few of the moisture traps when I next visit the house.
A lover of gadgets and tech, I am also drawn to the solar vent
cmchsmjm
Poster

by Creusebear » Sat 25 Feb 2017 17:22

I love the solar vent virtdave! to date we have not suffered from too much moisture in the house and last year was the first time I noticed any mustiness, but I think I had inadvertently closed the door to the bedroom so it had not been able to air well. i might try the moisture traps too - thanks for the tip.We usually come over 3-4 times a year for spells between a week and a month. This year was the first time we spent Christmas here and i did find it very restful being cut off from all the revelry (no TV!)
Creusebear

by charlie » Tue 28 Feb 2017 17:25

For the first ten years we visited every period of school holidays so we were there for parts of the winter. More recently we abandoned the winter trips because we wanted to avoid the cost of heating while we were there.
We are very concerned about the interior damp conditions during the five months the house is empty. My wife insists we leave the central heating ticking over at a moderate temperature so that the interior fabric, especially the bedding, stays reasonably dry. There is no chance of frozen pipes if it keeps running.
The downside of this extravagance is the cost of lpg used while we are away. I estimate this be about 600 euros. Sad, but we do at least get a decent return. Our insurance also demands that we maintain the temperature in the house at this level while it is unoccupied.

Alistair
charlie
charlie
New Poster