Moderator: rictel

French Paint

by rictel » Fri 16 Jan 2015 19:46

I'm sure that anyone that has used it will have an opinion , good or bad, on French paint. For my part I have found the oil based paints/ varnishes to be fine, but have a problem with their emulsion type paints. I appreciate that the recommended way is for one or two applications of " sous-couche" before the final coat, particularly on new plaster or plasterboard, so 3 coats in total , buying 2 different products, whereas a decent uk emulsion would do the job in 2 coats.

It would be interesting & helpful to hear other's thoughts & any French paint recommendations that have good coverage & you don't have to take out a mortgage to buy :)
rictel

Re: French Paint

by Freezerbill » Sun 18 Jan 2015 12:50

I have not heard a good word said about French paint

I am just about to paint some plasterboard and will be giving it a coat of PVA first
Freezerbill
Freezerbill

by kowalczy » Sun 18 Jan 2015 13:08

In the early days of arriving in France we used to have great difficulty getting a good coverage with French sourced paint. Now, however, we seem to have cracked it. On new plasterboard we first we use one coat of "Sous-couche plaque de plâtre", followed with, usually, one pass of top coat (emulsion). We seldom need to use two coats. Most of our paint is applied by spray gun. There seems to be no advantage to be gained by purchasing cheap paint.
kowalczy
New Poster

by Robjelves » Sun 18 Jan 2015 16:24

Looks like I'll be bringing it over with me for the foreseeable future.
Robjelves
Robjelves
Poster

by rictel » Sun 18 Jan 2015 19:58

Freezerbill wrote:I have not heard a good word said about French paint

I am just about to paint some plasterboard and will be giving it a coat of PVA first

Freezerbill, are you saying you have found somewhere to find some reasonably priced PVA, or is it from the UK ? :)
rictel

by Dave » Mon 19 Jan 2015 09:30

I loathe French emulsion. I did find that it worked far better if you let each cost dry completely (24 hours rather than 3 or 4). This seems to set the pigment so the next coat sits on top and it actually covers a lot more. Gloss paint is better but it is seriously expensive and not worth any extra over the British stuff. If you are renovating your holiday home - bring paint (and varnish) from the UK.

Don't forget to vote in the poll on this subject: French Paint. Is it any good?
Dave
Administrator

by Freezerbill » Mon 19 Jan 2015 10:03

My wife has just found a large tub of unopened crown emulsion in the cave, must be 4 years old, will it be ok?

I hate waste
Freezerbill
Freezerbill

by Dave » Mon 19 Jan 2015 10:16

It might be OK. I've used emulsion that was at least 6 or 7 years old without any issues but I lost several tubs I had stored in a cupboard in our barn to frost a couple of years back. Paint doesn't like being frozen, it seems.
Dave
Administrator

by rictel » Mon 19 Jan 2015 19:51

Freezerbill wrote:My wife has just found a large tub of unopened crown emulsion in the cave, must be 4 years old, will it be ok?

I hate waste

Depends if the frost has got to it. Open it up & try to give it a stir, if it goes nice & smooth it's probably ok.
rictel

by virtdave » Tue 20 Jan 2015 04:26

I just succesfully used some latex paint which had been stored in my cellar here, well sealed, for over ten years. I did buy a stirrer to rehabilitate it, and it took about 10 minutes of power stirring (with a 1/2" drill) to get it fully ready. Wear old clothes.
virtdave
Master Poster

by wynne » Tue 20 Jan 2015 21:00

I had a good tip from our local BQ store, when resealing used paint put some cling film on top of the paint seal and store upside down in case of frost. Then if it attacks it will be on the bottom when you turn back up the correct way to reuse. Have done this and when we return in March I will see if it has worked. Regarding French paint do not bother bring it over with you in the car it is much cheaper an example white dulux white emulsion 10lt £17 uk, 55 euro in a French store near us in france.
wynne
wynne
New Poster

by rictel » Tue 20 Jan 2015 21:23

Wynne, not heard of that tip before, perhaps you could update when you know if it has worked ?
rictel

by Freezerbill » Wed 21 Jan 2015 07:55

I use the upside down method for gloss and it works, never heard of the clingfilm idea but I will definitely be trying it, sounds good
Freezerbill
Freezerbill

by Bruno » Tue 31 Jan 2017 16:54

The new Dutch chain of shops called Action that are opening in France are good value.
They sell loads of stuff,including DIY.We have just built a new bedroom and painted the stone walls and plasterboard with Action emulsion which is German made and only 12.95 for 10 litres.Very good quality.
Bruno
Bruno
New Poster

by virtdave » Wed 01 Feb 2017 07:22

Are there any Action stores in or near Creuse?
virtdave
Master Poster

by Bruno » Wed 01 Feb 2017 09:36

One we use, not quite in the Creuse, is in Montlucon. There is another in Limoges.
Bruno
Bruno
New Poster

Next