General Creusois Climate
by Dave Mon 06 Feb 2012 13:51

If you're going to buy a house somewhere, even just for holiday use, it's important to know just what to expect in the way of weather. Whilst it is still very difficult to predict exactly how bad it's going to be this winter, past performance (as the finance people always say) can be an indicator.

Here are some basic weather facts, averaged from 1971 to 2000 to help give you an idea of the weather in the Creuse. Please bear in mind that these are averages - the minimum temperatures seem a bit too warm based on my experience, but adding altitude and wind chill factors to these soon brings it down.

There tends to be short periods (of less than two weeks) when the temperature is abnormally cold (usually once in November and once in February) or abnormally hot (usually once in December and once after Easter). Last winter it was, according to the thermometer outside my house, never above minus 5 for almost two weeks, even during the day, with a low of minus 17.2. The water in our friends large pond froze to a depth of about 40cm (15 inches) during this time.

Average Minimum and Maximum Temperature

temperature.png
Average Rainfall
rainfall.png
Official Recorded Maxims since 1975
  • Lowest Temperature: -23.2°C
  • Coldest Year: 1980
  • Highest Temperature: 36.2°C (NB: last year was higher, but I don't have the official figures)
  • Hottest Year: 1994 (unofficially 2003)
  • Highest Rainfall in 24 hours: 70mm
  • Wettest Year: 1999
  • Driest Year: 1989 (unofficially 2003)

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: General Creusois Climate
by Annik Tue 07 Feb 2012 01:28

That's fascinating - thank you. It will be really useful to point people who want to know about the climate of the Creuse to this section of the website.

I am interested to see that my suspicion that it rains a heck of a lot in May is actually true.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by edmoraz Wed 08 Feb 2012 10:08

It is good to have seasons, I couldnt live somewhere that was the same day in day out.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Annik Wed 08 Feb 2012 10:47

When our son and his wife lived in California they said they eventually got to the point of looking out of the window in the morning and saying: "Oh no - not another beautiful sunny day!" They missed the variety of the European climate.

Mind you, I'm glad we aren't suffering the very cold weather that you have got in the Creuse at the moment. It's only -3.5C here in mid-Cheshire just now.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions