Clamp down on glycophosphates?
by Creusebear Sat 08 Apr 2017 08:53

On a recent visit to a garden centre I noticed the weed killer aisle was roped off and in our local farmers shop there were no weed killers on the shelf at all. Has there been a recent change in the regs in selling glycophosphates?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Clamp down on glycophosphates?
by fishsw Sat 08 Apr 2017 17:14

Yes, the sale of weedkillers containing glycophosphates is now banned in French garden centres.

fishsw
Apr 2010
by virtdave Sun 09 Apr 2017 00:17

glyphosate is under a lot of scrutiny recently--a WHO report last year concluded it's unlikely to be a significant risk in the home garden, and banning it in garden centers may be overkill. If it does pose a danger, it's probably related to its use in agriculture. Our farmer neighbors in St-Georges-Nigremont were using it rather enthusiastically a while ago, when we return (next month!) I'll ask them what they think now. Many years ago I snuck a litre if a (probably much more toxic) herbicide, Genoxone, into the USA--I imagine that'd no longer be tolerated. I believe it's been banned in Califonia for a while, but there's nothing more effective for poison oak, a nasty plant native to the Western USA to which I have a violent sensitivity. In the past ten years, I've used approximately 300cc's of the litre.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear Mon 10 Apr 2017 20:35

Fair enough, We all need to do our bit. So no more Roundup or 'Ronup' as my lovely old neighbour used to say with a thick Berrichon accent - took me ages to figure out what he was talking about! Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative weed control?

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions