Moderator: edmoraz

Mole News

by lestroisours » Fri 11 Jan 2008 10:01

For those who have reached desperation stakes, don't give up yet. Our small plot of 1100 Sq.M was a mess when we moved in at August. I tried teaching them to swim, attempted to trap them with the traditional piège. Stamping around a lot seemed to help, and hammering 3 stakes in to support 3 new fruit trees drove them from the bottom of the garden to the end nearer the house.
In the end we purchased two battery operated spikes from one of the tools trucks, and placed them in the two furthest taupinières. During the very cold snap there was no obvious activity anyway. But in the last few days, it has been quite warm, and only two new hills formed. One was a passage cleaner, but the other smaller one looks as if it was an escape hatch. In the last 10 days we have seen NO mole hills.
Is this the end? Watch this space and take heart!
lestroisours
Expert Poster

Re: Mole News

by blaudeix » Fri 11 Jan 2008 12:44

Is it the end? - I doubt it!

We have the same problem, I've read about the little s*ds and apparently they're very teritorial, having an acre a piece -apprently and can dig 100metres a day in optimum soil conditions, they work 4 hours on 4 hours off.

Apparently even if you catch a mole it is generally not long before it is taken over as moles know it's hard work digging holes.

oh and they move about 4km'hr in their tunels.

There's a knack to setting the traps, which I obviously haven't got as they go around them -except once! not that it made any difference to the quantity of mountains.
If anybody has tips on setting traps I'm all ears

I've heard that those sonic thing are a waste of time, but if they work for you then excellent, I just want them off my lawn! as their hills wreck mower blades quickly.

Oh don't try kicking mole hills when there's a frost about - it'll hospitalise you :lol:
Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Regular Poster

by amandaandclint » Sun 13 Jan 2008 11:33

Hi All

I've been doing a bit of research as some of you may have heard that we suffer from the odd mole or two.

The vibration devices dont work so I would recommend not using them.
Moles - on average- eat 10 - 12 worms per day. The vibrations attract the worms (a bit like when worms come to the surface when it rains - same principle) thus you are giving them a reason to hang around.

Moles can totter around at 4 miles per hour and as Steve said above, they tend to live alone so if you catch one you could be rid of them for some time.

I have heard that you can get poison that you dip live worms in (they must be alive as worms wont eat dead ones), you then dump the worms in one of their tunnels and wait. The poison takes just a few minutes to take effect and the mole will ... go to mole heaven.

Appartently the poison isnt harmful to dogs as it is very weak.

Im in the process of trying to track down the name of this poison. The problem is, is that its what the professional mole catchers use in the UK and America so nobdy wnats to tell (which is understandable I guess as its their livelyhood).

Just want to mention before I get 'told off for being mean by someone', that Im not overly happy with having to poison moles but I have tried everything else.

If I find out the name of this stuff I will post it on here.

Clint
amandaandclint
amandaandclint
Regular Poster

by David_J » Mon 14 Jan 2008 11:37

Hi all
I've seen this and other data on moles and just to start your week off well, I must tell you that I have found no long term solution to getting rid of mine. If anyone finds a solution then please let me know. There must be one, what do golf courses do?
When I was first here, the commune had a mole killer who attended and put poison down the tunnels which was effective in the short term but within a few months, new moles had arrived. Sadly, mole poisoners are no longer allowed. I understand that this activity was stopped centrally.
So, I tried being Buddist and purchased some battery powered sonic widgets which I put in some molehills and was staggered when later the same day I actually saw activity in the earth mound in which one had been placed so no solution there - at least not with 'my' moles.
It was in an 'Espace Vert' that I found some mole poison which I put down the tunnels and similar to the 'pro' job, this worked in the short term but as someone has written earlier, moles know that digging is hard work and it wasn't long before a new occupant arrived. The poison is easy to use and is in solid form which when placed in a tunnel becomes activated by the damp and releases a heavier than air gas which fills the tunnels.
Because our property was empty for a few years before we arrived, the moles were able to work unhindered and I understand that some of the deeper galleries may be over a metre down so a gas that drops all the way down works for me.
As of today, the most recent and very active occupant of the system in the lawn seems to be sleeping as no new activity has been seen for 10 days or so but I know that the b*gg*r is still there so it's off to the garden center for me to get some more poison to kill it which I dislike doing but cannot see any other solution. I wouldn't fell quite so bad if this was a one off activity but it isn't. It has to be an enduring one and I feel like Dr Crippen or whichever poisoner you prefer.
The really irritating thing is that I have about a hectare of land which is around 2.5 acres, most of which is unused paddock and if there really is only 1 mole per acre, why do my 2.5 moles congregate on the lawn in front of the house?
David_J
David_J
Regular Poster

by lestroisours » Mon 14 Jan 2008 17:51

Concerning the sonic devices, like most critters, moles are curious and will investigate the devices, but the noises are annoying to them and they will move off. That's why I have raised this sonic barrier with two devices. So far I have had only one molehill erupt, and it is in the intended direction - away from my garden!!
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Expert Poster

by ihusker » Tue 15 Jan 2008 00:48

I got a DVD and some traps on ebay last year. I think it is called the ABC of Molecatching by The Moleman, but I can't be certain as the dvd is in France and I'm not :cry: . Anyway I found it very helpful. It's done by a professional molecather and he tells you what works and what doesn't. I only managed to catch one mole before I got the dvd, although the traps would be sprung but empty, but since I watched the dvd, my tally for last year was 9. I would be quite happy to lend out the dvd but I won't be back in the Creuse until the beginning of March .
ihusker
ihusker
Regular Poster

by hirondelles » Wed 16 Jan 2008 01:59

Forget all these fancy devices. My neighbour Maurice gave me a half hour course in trapping the little critters and anyway, you should treat it as a sport and give them an even chance. The most important thing when setting traps is to rub your hands in soil thoroughly before handling the trap, they are very sensitive to scent. You also need to determine the main gallery, which is often near a wall. The other holes may only be visited once, so the trap has to be set into a main gallery which will usually contain three holes. I have had enormous success, I ALWAYS catch the little blighters, of course there is always another one to replace them - but that's the way of WAR! Once trapped one by the leg, when I tried to pull out of the hole it kept pulling the trap back in! Didn't have the heart to beat it to death so I let it go, on the principal that if it had one duff leg it could only go around in circles, so wouldn't bother me again.
hirondelles
New Poster

by jojo » Fri 18 Jan 2008 09:07

a friend of ours uses plastic windmills, the sort that you buy at the seaside and they have had great sucess.
Alternatively, do not have a nice garden, for the first 3 years we were here I had a horrible garden and never had one single mole, as soon as I sorted out the lawn and plants etc, thousands of the blighters turned up!!
jojo
New Poster

by Twinkletoes » Sun 20 Jan 2008 10:32

We know of someone whose job it is to ' gas the little blighters'. He comes and assesses your area and number of hills etc and gives you a devi for the work. He then puts poison gas down into the tunnels (blocking off all their tunnels and routes). He reckons they will come back after a time particularly if your neighbours fields are also full of moles. We are considering this at it lasts a bit longer, doesn't frighten the guests with explosions going off, and also doesn't poison half the birds in the area from poisoned worms. If you want contact details of the guy PM me. If I remember rightly he will quote either by hectare or by hour.
:twisted:
Twinkletoes
New Poster

by alldown » Mon 21 Jan 2008 03:50

Hi All

We are not living in La Creuse full time yet and do not have a mole problem here in the UK or (as far as we know) in La Creuse, but we have heard of this tip to avoid the little furry monsters.

I realise that this idea will be no good to people who have already landscaped, nurtured and have their garden laid out but for those of us who have not yet got to that heady state of fulfilment.

LAY DOWN CHICKEN WIRE

Yep it is (supposed to be) that simple. Before laying turf or seeding an area with grass or plants, cover the surface with chicken wire. Apparently the little blighters cannot get through it and move on to your neighbour
alldown
Good Poster

by edmoraz » Sat 05 Apr 2008 23:36

My dad suffers from 'mole hill madness'.He carries arround a bucket and spade in the back of the car and collects the molehills. He says its really good soil for growing things in. We are over in May,June and September if anyone wants to hire him.lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
edmoraz

by Landa » Sun 06 Apr 2008 18:55

A French friend told me he cuts several meter lengths of bramble and pushes them down several mole holes and leaves them there. So in desperation I tried it and have not seen a mole since.
Landa
Landa
New Poster

by lestroisours » Tue 08 Apr 2008 07:40

Mole update (10 o'clock news dramatic type music)
After several weeks of using the electric pics, we had just one persistent mole that decided to bypass the pics to the other side of the garden and begin terrorising the flower border close to the house. This was noticed yesterday by Dotte & Dashe our two cats. Dotte was intently looking at the smal patch of soil at the edge of the lawn that was moving. She then dived in and started digging. She succesfully unearth a very suprised and indignant large mole. Dotte was so suprised she dropped it, leaving the mole to begin to return to earth. Not in my back yard! I picked it up by the scruff of the tail, as the other ends bites hard, and transplanted it to the field beyond our garden wall, leaving it to fight it out with the other moles that live there. We are pleased to announce that succesful intervention by technical and feline means we are, for the moment, mole free! :)
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Expert Poster

by alldown » Mon 05 May 2008 21:39

Ok Ok

I will have to put my suggestion to the test! We have just bought a very small piece of ground in our village (we would like to grow some veggies and chooks and we have no land attached to our house).

Guess what!!! Mole hills and loads of them :roll: I promise to be truthful when trying out the chicken wire theory but as it will be a while before we live in La Creuse I will follow this thread with interest to see if someone comes up with a proven mole deterrent.

All the best Gill
alldown
Good Poster

by beetle » Wed 05 Nov 2008 19:28

It must be a right of passage!
After a couple of tons of rock had been dug up and the mini digger had done a couple of rounds wrestling with the 'Triffid' until not a trace of its all embracing roots could be found; a lawn was laid.
Lovely pictures nice and flat.
Next picture four stepping stone mole hills in a gracefull arc. Darned squatter, turn your back for one week and he/she was in like a shot. Tread down the piles in the morning and by mid-day there's another!
So its going to be like that is it.
A game of 'catch me if you can'
Peep-o Im over hear. No too late Im over hear now.
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
beetle
Regular Poster

by David_J » Thu 06 Nov 2008 08:40

Hard luck Beetle.
I don't know if I am imagining it but this seems to have been a bad year for moles. Well, bad for us; good for them. The little b***ers seem to be everywhere. In addition to the known 'galleries' in my lawn which now looks like something out of the Somme c.1917, they have also appeared in a small plot of land outside my gates and there are molehills all along the drainage ditches in the lane outside. I have also noticed new areas of molehills in many fields and gardens close to us.
If anyone arrives at a resolution (short of digging everything up and either laying down metal netting under the topsoil or replacing everything with astroturf) please post it on PN.
David_J
David_J
Regular Poster

by lestroisours » Thu 06 Nov 2008 12:58

Certainly a bad time for moles - particularly our moles. One persistent one ignored all the warnings, and was pieged for his persistence. A second one moved in, immediately, but failed to see the piege remaining.

Sorry to have resorted to this, Autumn Watch lovers, but the their time had come. Much as I hate to destroy them, our self suffiency came first. The roots of our fruit bushes and garden veg had suffered enough.
lestroisours
Expert Poster

by beetle » Thu 06 Nov 2008 19:31

Oh No!
Fruit Tree roots, Veg, we have plans for these in the future.
Will the veg be safe in raised beds?

This is beginning to sound like a scene out of Wallace and Grommit 'The Curse of the Were-Rabbit' only the villains are moles.
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
beetle
Regular Poster

by lestroisours » Fri 07 Nov 2008 07:41

No, nothing was safe. The moles particularly enjoyed our raised beds, as they were filled with garden manure full of worms.
lestroisours
Expert Poster

Next